2015-1Q: Billing: Quotes
A new feature has been added to the SIMPLer platform that allows operators to add quotes to customer accounts. This has been added to aid the sales process. Quoting in SIMPLer is similar in many ways to invoicing with the difference being that quotes themselves do not take part in the financial processes. However, quotes can be used at a later date to generate a custom invoice.
1. Feature Access
There are some user rights associated with the quotes functionality. Check with your administrator if you have the rights required to use the feature.
- access: Allows users to access the quotes pages, and to view quotes.
- add: Allows users to add quotes of their own.
- modify: Allows users to modify quotes.
- delete: Allows users to delete quotes.
Fig 1-1" User Rights for Quotes
The quotes list is accessible from a number of areas in SIMPLer:
1) "Quotes" link in the "Sales Tracking" section of the "Customers" page. This link will re-direct the operator to a quote search page as presented on Fig 1-3. The page will allow operators to browse quotes using various parameters, to download the quote PDF file, to view quote change history or to visit the associated customer account.
Fig 1-2. “Quote” link on customers page
Fig 1-3. Quote Search Page
2) "Quotes" link from "Search" section of "Invoices" page. This link takes to the quote search page as presented on Fig 1-3 that allows the operator to browse quotes using various parameters, download quote PDF file, view quote change history or to access the associated customer account.
Fig 1-4. “Quote” link on invoices page
3) "Quotes" section of the "Sales Items" (Sales Opportunities) page. This section allows operators to add quotes to particular sales items.
Fig 1-5. “Quote” section on "Sales items" page
4) Last 5 Sales Opportunities" section of "Customer Details" page. This section allows operators to add quotes to particular sales items directly from the customer details page.
Fig 1-6. “Quote” section on "Last 5 Sales Opportunities" page
5) "Last 5 Quotes" Section of "Customer Details" page. This section allows to add quotes to a customer account.
Fig 1-7. “Last 5 Quotes” section on "Customer Details" page
6) "Quotes" button from the left menu on the customer details page, as shown in Fig. 1-8.
Fig 1-8. “Quote” button on "Customer Details" page
2. Quotes Overview
All quotes contained in the SIMPLer system are maintained within a database. The following is a list of the main quote attributes:
- Quote No. – the main and unique quote identification field. This field does not have to be a number. It can be prefixed with any combination of letters, numbers, or symbols but must end in a number. Examples are:
· 1, A192, XNS201
- Customer (Invoicing ID / Name) – lists customer account details for the quote issued.
- Quote Date – date of quote generation (if not overridden). Note: quotes can be generated in advance or after their quote date if desired.
- Status - indicates the current status of the quote. Operator can define his own set of statuses for each quote that matches his sales process. By default there is only one "Standard" status.
- Total Net Amount – quote net amount (excluding VAT/Tax)
- Total Tax Amount - VAT/Tax rate (represented as a percentage) used in calculating amount of invoice.
- Total Amount - quote total amount (including VAT/Tax)
Fig 2-1. “Quote Details” page
All of the above information can be readily accessed from the quote details page (fig. 2-1). This page can be accessed in a few ways (a) use the search form on the main Invoices (Fig. 1-4) or Customers page (Fig. 1-6) (b) from customers page (via Quotes details >> menu item as shown in Fig. 1-8) or by clicking on the E circle beside the invoice in “last 5 quotes” or "last 5 sale opportunities" section and (c) via Sales Opportunities page (Fig. 1-5).
The "Quote Details" page (fig 2-1) allows the user to modify certain data from existing quotes, examples are date and quote status. Every other field is locked down after the quote has been created. Fields that cannot be changed include Quote No, Customer, Quote Date, Total Net Amount, Total [TAX] Amount, Total Amount and Positions.
It is also possible to delete a quote. When trying to delete a quote the user will be prompted to confirm his/her actions.
Quotes can also be used to generate a CUSTOM invoice by clicking the "Copy Positions to Custom Invoice" button.
3. Create Quote
This facility allows the user to generate a quote for an end customer. This page can be accessed from the following parts of the system:
1) The customer details page by following the "add.." link from the "Last 5 Quotes" section
Fig 3-1. Add a quote link in the “Last 5 Quotes” section of customer details page
2) The customer details page by following the "Add Quote.." link from the "Last 5 Sales Opportunities" section
Fig 3-2. "Add quote" link in the “Last 5 Sales opportunities” section of customer details page
3) The sales opportunity page by following the "Add Quote" button for an existing Sales Opportunity
Fig 3-3. "Add Quote" link "Sales Opportunity" page
The system will then automatically select the appropriate customer and Sales Opportunity, thereby limiting the possibility of errors.
The form consists of four parts: A general menu with a link back to the quote process page, Quote Details (top), Products (middle) and Quote Products (bottom) (fig 3-4).
Figure 3-4. Add quote page
There are seven mandatory fields contained in the Quote Details section:
- Quote No – defaults to next available quote number
- Quote Date – default value: current date
- Status – default value: Standard
When issuing quotes, it is mandatory to add at least one product. This can be done under the Products section of the form. Fields under this section are as follows:
- Code – list of all active product codes
- Product Description (dropdown list) – detailed description of products
- Price (dropdown list) – prices for active products
NOTE: The above fields are linked. If you select a code the matching description and price will be automatically selected. The same is true when selecting based on description or price.
- Description (text field) – Modifiable product description
- Price (text field) – Modifiable product price
- Quantity – Number of products selected to add
- Premium – Percentage markup on product
- Discount – Percentage discount on product
- Tax Used – Specifies whether tax is taken from customer default settings or product default settings.
- Tax Mode – Default (as per global WISP settings), Flexible (as per defined Tax zone) or Fixed (can fix percentage on a per quote basis)
- Tax Zone – As per pre-defined tax zones.
- Tax Rate – Tax percentage applied to product. Defaults to product preset tax
- Rounding Algorithm – rounding method used to generate final price for product after apply premium, discount, and/or tax. Options include:
- product default
Products can be selected by choosing either their Code, Product Description, or Price. At this point the Description and Price text boxes will be automatically populated. The addition of the ability to edit a product’s description/price on a per quote basis is key to the flexibility of quote generation.
After adjusting the different details, as required for the quote, click the Add Product button to add the details to the "Selected Quote Products" list. At this point the quote still will not have been created, as further verification is required. Multiple products can be added to the quote by selecting them from one of the dropdown list and clicking the Add Quote button again. If a product is added to the Selected Quote Products list in error the user only needs to select the erroneously added product in the list and then click the "Deleted Selected" button. When the appropriate products have been added to the list, and all general settings are correct, click the "Add Quote" button to generate the quote for the selected customer / sales opportunity.
If no products are added to the Quote Products list an error message is displayed preventing the quote from being generated.
4. Managing Quote Statuses
Operator can define/manage own list of quote statuses through the Quote Statuses page. It can be accessed from the "Quote Statuses" link under "Settings" page:
Figure 4-1. Quote statuses page
Quote pdf files are created from HTML templates using the same approach as used with Invoices, statements, receipts etc. More information about the tempting subpart of the system can be found here:
Figure 5-1. Quote Templates